Volunteer & Front of House Manager
The Ark is Michigan’s nonprofit home for folk and roots music. Considered one of the top music clubs in the world, The Ark is renowned for the quality and breadth of its programming. The intimate 400-seat venue presents performers ranging from emerging artists to classic figures of folk and roots music.
The Ark is seeking a skilled and enthusiastic Volunteer & Front of House Manager (House Manager) to oversee The Ark’s “front of house” activities, including ushering, ticket taking, concessions, merchandise sales, and membership sales.
The primary areas of focus for this position include:
- Maintaining The Ark’s world-class reputation by ensuring a welcoming atmosphere and excellent customer service for our artists and audience members;
- Recruiting and managing club volunteers and staff and creating a great work environment for them.
Key components for the successful candidate include:
- Managing, motivating and mentoring volunteers and staff;
- Effective outreach and networking for ongoing volunteer recruitment;
- Developing and managing efficient, user-friendly procedures for nightly club operations.
This position reports to the Operations Director, supervises a team of part-time Night Managers, and works closely with other Ark staff. Variable working schedule will include some regular evening and weekend hours.
Manage Club Volunteers & Staff
- Hire, train and supervise Night Manager staff and ensure their input, participation, and representation in the broader organization
- Develop and implement strategies for recruiting, training, managing, and motivating volunteer staff of over 200 people in ushering, ticket-taking, concessions, membership and merchandise sales
- Maintain effective two-way communication with volunteers, including sending weekly volunteer e-newsletter and developing ongoing Information Sessions
- Plan and coordinate volunteer recognition and appreciation
- Maintain manager and volunteer schedules
Manage Club Activities
- Develop, implement and manage front-of-house procedures to include concessions, merchandise sales and membership sales
- Personally responsible for staffing the house select night(s) per week
- Manage club inventory, including weekly order placement and delivery
- Monitor product and pricing trends and set appropriate prices for concessions
- Ensure the club is maintaining proper health standards and sanitation procedures; prepare for and oversee routine health inspections
- Develop and implement safety and evacuation plans with Operations Director
- Serve as The Ark’s compliance officer for ADA requirements and requests
- ·Serve as The Ark’s compliance officer for Michigan Liquor Control Commission regulations and licensing requirements
- Recruit, coordinate and train volunteers for annual Ann Arbor Folk Festival in Hill Auditorium
- Provide backup to Operations Director for managing maintenance at the club
- Participate in professional development activities in related areas of responsibility
- Participate in the Washtenaw Association of Volunteer Coordinators (WAVC)
- Familiarity with and appreciation of the types of music The Ark presents is required
- Prior management experience required; experience working with volunteers desired
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer services skills, including the ability to manage feedback from a variety of sources
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to set the tone for a positive, welcoming atmosphere for all Ark constituents: customers, volunteers, artists, fellow staff members
- Commitment to The Ark’s organization-wide focus on encouraging and welcoming diversity
- Proven ability to work effectively with a variety of personalities in a busy environment
- Must be tech & computer savvy and capable of working with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, plus Google Drive/cloud based platforms
- Ability to work flexible working hours including evenings and weekends
- Job requires the ability to routinely move items up to 25 lbs and occasionally up to 50 lbs
- Successful candidate must complete training and maintain required certifications for food and alcohol service, as well as CPR and first aid
- COVID vaccination is required for all Ark employees
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- This is a full-time, exempt position
- Salary range is $48,000 – $58,000 with starting salary based on prior experience
- Benefits options include: health insurance, retirement (SIMPLE IRA), generous paid time off
The Ark is an Equal Opportunity Employer, offering equal opportunity for employment or advancement to all qualified applicants or employees without regard to age, religion, color, race, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, familial status, veteran status, height, weight, or non-job-related medical condition or disability, or any unlawful criterion or circumstance. The Ark is committed to fostering and maintaining a diverse and multicultural working environment. Candidates from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Please submit your cover letter and resume through the following link: https://karenandrewsgroup.applicantpool.com/jobs/663931.html