BOX OFFICE ASSOCIATE (Part-Time)
The Ark is Michigan’s nonprofit home for folk and roots music. Considered one of the top music clubs in the world, The Ark is renowned for the quality and breadth of its programming. The intimate 400-seat venue presents performers ranging from emerging artists to classic figures of folk and roots music.
The Ark is seeking 1-2 skilled, motivated and enthusiastic part-time Box Office Associates to fill nightly 3 hour shifts in our box office. This position provides outstanding customer service and plays a key role in keeping our nightly operations running smoothly.
The primary areas of focus for this position include:
- Delivering great customer service in person, by phone and email to Ark constituents;
- Staffing our box office in the evening to sell tickets, reconcile nightly settlement documentation, and prepare settlement payments;
- Updating Point-of-Sale (POS) programming as needed.
Key components for the successful candidate include:
- Reflecting The Ark’s world-class reputation in both public-facing interactions and behind-the-scenes work that supports the organization;
- Reliably handling routine tasks and responding to day-to-day/show specific needs;
- Reliably handling cash, credit and check transactions in addition to using our POS system.
Box Office Associate team members report to the Operations Director and work closely with the other club staff, including the House Manager and Night Manager team. Box Office Associates work evenings on-site at The Ark. Box office shifts are generally Mon-Sat, 6:30p.m.- 9:30pm, Sun 6:00p.m.-9:00p.m. Occasional availability is required for other events (Fall Fundraiser, Annual Meeting, weekend afternoon Family Shows).
Box Office Administration
- Answer phones, assist customers, route calls
- Prepare/update point of sale operations, sell tickets, gift cards and or memberships to patrons attending the show or just stopping in to make a purchase
- Complete nightly box office reporting
- Reconcile nightly settlement documentation and review artist settlement with Night Manager
- Train volunteer ticket scanners
- Identify and report box office supply needs, technology issues, etc.
- Work closely with the Night Manager to open doors on time
- Assist in communicating any COVID protocols to patrons entering The Ark
- Manage artist and Ark guest lists and special ticket requests
- Problem solving on-site ticketing and related issues
Cash Handling, and Related Functions
- Set up box office POS cash drawer before doors open
- Complete purchases of tickets in the POS after processing and printing them
- Prepare the artist payment via cash or check based on the fee calculated in the settlement documentation for the Night Manager
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer services skills
- Proven ability to work effectively with a variety of personalities and thrive in a busy environment
- Ability to cultivate a positive, welcoming atmosphere for all Ark constituents: customers, volunteers, artists, agents, fellow staff members
- Demonstrated ability to resolve problems quickly and competently
- Exceptional accuracy and attention to detail with regard to cash-handling, record-keeping, data entry, and other administrative tasks
- Must be tech and computer savvy and capable of working efficiently with The Ark’s POS and Ticketing software, as well as Microsoft Excel, Outlook, and possibly Google Drive/cloud-based platforms
- Solid math skills
- Prior demonstrated commitment to punctuality and reliability
- Commitment to The Ark’s organization-wide focus on encouraging and welcoming diversity
- Familiarity with and appreciation of the types of music The Ark presents is a plus
- Availability to regularly work 2 or more shifts per week
- Must have reliable transportation
- Job includes extended periods of sitting or standing at a computer
- Job requires the ability to occasionally move items up to 25 lbs
- COVID vaccination is required for all Ark employees
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- This is a part-time, non-exempt position
- Pay rate $20/hour (a typical shift is 3 hours)
- Benefits include working with a world-class team and interacting with others who have a passion for live music
The Ark is an Equal Opportunity Employer, offering equal opportunity for employment or advancement to all qualified applicants or employees without regard to age, religion, color, race, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, familial status, veteran status, height, weight, or non-job-related medical condition or disability, or any unlawful criterion or circumstance. The Ark is committed to fostering and maintaining a diverse and multicultural working environment. Candidates from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Please submit your cover letter and resume through the following link:
“The Ark is a non-profit organization dedicated to the enrichment of the human spirit through the presentation, preservation, and encouragement of folk, roots, ethnic music, and the related arts. The Ark provides a safe and welcoming atmosphere for all people to listen to, learn about, perform and share music.”