TECHNICAL MANAGER & SOUND ENGINEER
The Ark is seeking a part-time team member for a hybrid Technical Manager and Sound Engineer role. This dual focused position reports to the Operations Director and participates in ensuring live performances are set up properly to provide a world-class experience.
The primary areas of focus for this position include:
- Managing technical operations;
- Training and managing technical staff and volunteers;
- Running sound for 10-15 shows per month.
This combined role typically works 15-20 hours per week.
TECHNICAL MANAGER RESPONSIBILITIES
*The Technical Manager is paid on an hourly basis.
Tech Equipment Maintenance and Repair
- Maintain club sound equipment and stage lights
- Request production supplies (gaff tape, CDs, bulbs, etc.)
- Analyze and recommend new equipment and repair needs for annual budget
- Inventory equipment quarterly
Tech Crew Management
- Participate in bi-monthly sound tech meetings
- Communicate with sound techs via email group
- Help research and implement improvements and changes to the production set up
Tech Crew Mentoring
- Mentor tech volunteers and have constructive conversations about what they need to learn to get to where they want to be (including hands on club training or informational sessions)
- Provide phone support to tech crew
- Orient new sound techs
- Track the progress of volunteer techs and make sure they are capable of the shows they are working in various capacities (sound, lights, video, broadcast)
- Participate in process design for assistant tech to lead tech transitions
- Assist Operations Director in hosting a quarterly tech recruitment information session
- Advance technical requirements with the artist/tour manager for shows identified by the Operations Director, as needed
- Review show advance information, add show information to the tech webpage
- Check that there are capable sound technicians, lighting techs, and/or broadcasting staff scheduled
- Schedule volunteer loaders
- Supervise artist load-ins as identified by the Operations Director
- Delegate sound, lighting, video and/or broadcasting staffing for livestreams from The Ark
- Delegate broadcasting staffing for livestreams with artists streaming remotely
SOUND ENGINEER RESPONSIBILITIES
*The Sound Engineer is paid a flat rate, by the shift/performance.
- Sound Engineer for 10-15 shows/month
- Greet artists and touring crew, assist artists with load in and load out (including heavy lifting), set the stage and operate a sound check to the artist’s satisfaction, mix the live concert and/or assist a traveling sound technician, tear down the stage following the performance and restoring equipment to pre-performance settings
- Provide sound, lighting, video and/or broadcasting staffing for livestreams from The Ark
- Proven expertise in live sound reinforcement
- Ample and recent experience running a digital sound board, such as the Yamaha CL3 used at The Ark, in live performance settings.
- Ability to lift heavy equipment
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work well with artists, touring crews, and others
- Ability to effectively train and mentor other technicians
- Confidence under pressure
- Ability to test and repair broken equipment and/or coordinate repair work with qualified vendors
- The person in this role will need to have access to a cell phone and email for prompt communications
- Experience training and mentoring other technicians a plus
- Experience running a digital light board, such as The Ark’s RoadHog 4
- Experience with Google Drive a plus
The Ark is an Equal Opportunity Employer, offering equal opportunity for employment or advancement to all qualified applicants or employees without regard to age, religion, color, race, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, familial status, veteran status, height, weight, or non-job-related medical condition or disability, or any unlawful criterion or circumstance. The Ark is committed to fostering and maintaining a diverse and multicultural working environment. Candidates from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
“The Ark is a non-profit organization dedicated to the enrichment of the human spirit through the presentation, preservation, and encouragement of folk, roots, ethnic music, and the related arts. The Ark provides a safe and welcoming atmosphere for all people to listen to, learn about, perform and share music.”